Monday, February 6, 2012

HAPPY CHAP GOH MEH

Today is the 6th day of February and it is also Chap Goh Meh, the finale to the Chinese New Year celebration. Being a public holiday this year’s Chap Goh Meh will be celebrated on a grander scale by the Chinese.

As i was informed by my friends, Chap Goh Meh, meaning “fifteenth night” in Hokkien, is a day to spend with loved ones. It is like Valentine’s Day for the Chinese. On this day, single adults throw oranges into rivers in the hope of finding a life partner.

Once upon a time, people used to write their names and telephone numbers on oranges that they threw into rivers. Nowadays with the widespread use of the internet, I guess people will probably write their emails or their websites addresses on the oranges that they throw, well I am indeed sure that some may even write the names that they use on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

To all my friends, I would like to wish you all a very happy Chap Goh Meh!

No comments: